Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Slowly, slowly

Despite our earlier concern about making daily miles, now we are in great shape. We decide to finish slowly, taking our time and enjoying the last few days. I reflect that we pushed so hard early on, and now we have some extra time. Perhaps we could have eased up a little and enjoyed it more? But where? So many days we needed to get the extra miles to reach water, to get out of an overgrown area to camp, or to line up for a hot climb early in the morning. I'm not sure where we would have added days. Maybe a zero or two, taking time off for our bodies to rest?

Today we just hike down the road to the Paradise Trailhead and take the afternoon off to swim in the river again and spend time with Fran.

Despite my attempts to love the Altras Lone Peak shoes, I have given up on them. They are completely worn out with glue coming apart, the cushioning smashed to smithereens so that I feel every pebble, torn mesh, worn sole, and just generally beat up. Not to mention they still cause a bloody blister on the top of my foot from a poor quality tongue seam. I toss them to the side and pull out my New Balance shoes. They will get me to the ocean. No more Altras for me.

6 miles to the Paradise Trailhead, to mile 340.

No comments:

Post a Comment