Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Is This a Paddle or a Hike? Port Richey

We are low on stove fuel. We thought the remaining canister was full but it turns not to be. No worries; we can stop at Port Richey and walk one mile to a Wal-Mart. I'll get some more socks and other food too.

Did I mention our socks stink? It has become quite horrible.

We aired out the dry suits and washed the feet, so now we just need more socks to keep a clean daily rotation, at least as long as we wear the neoprene booties.

We set out paddling today with our dry suits stored away and a forecast of 80F. But we still wear the booties because most landings seem to either be muck or oyster shells. We are just starting to see glimmers of white sand beach.

We land at Brasher Park in Port Richey, and I head to Wal-Mart. Except they do not carry the butane-propane canisters we need.

Decision time. If I walk further to Sports Authority then we may not have time for the crossing to Anclote Keys. If I don't then we may have some cold dinners before we reach Clearwater, and there aren't any stores close to the water there anyway. I opt for the hike.

That leads me past a Best Buy. I decide to surprise Fran by replacing the camera. That makes Anclote even less likely.

Six miles and three hours later I am back. Fran has met a number of friendly locals. Thanks especially to Barbara and Hans. They were out for a day trip in their kayak and stopped to chat. They took interest in our paddle and offered food and water. When they returned from their paddle and Rod was not back from the store, they went out to find him. Ah, yes, another example of Southern hospitality.

Fran also discovered that the park has showers behind the restroom! Anclote is out for sure. That final four mile open water crossing would finish after sunset.

We then hike back into town to a Pizza Hut that I saw earlier. Except that we cannot find it. A few miles later we are back to the launch, eating Wal-Mart banana bread for dinner.

Today we hiked more miles than we paddled.

1 comment:

  1. I read Fran's entry on cooking and like her I love to really cook on paddling and cycling trips. But for those trips I always carry a petrol stove. Weight does not matter that much for paddling. Petrol is much cheaper than gas canisters and you can get it almost everywhere. No long trips to Walmart needed... just any gas station.

    ReplyDelete