Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Monday, December 24, 2012

A fine and pleasant paddle: Dallus Creek campsite

Nice easy paddle today. Early start, early finish.

Dallus Creek campsite is Hog Heaven! Unfortunately I mean that literally. As we paddle to the beach, we can see the sand torn up, big pits where the pigs rummaged, plants with their roots bare, and grass torn up.  Feral pigs are a serious environmental problem.

With each day we adjust what we wear to keep warm. Paddling isn't too bad with our full body dry suits. But at night it is dang cold. The tent is a summer tent, meaning just mosquito netting with a rain fly. My sleeping bag is an ultra-light summer bag rated for 45F. At night I zip my coat closed and stuff the foot of the bag into it. That adds enough to keep the feet warm. Then I wear a fleece top and wool hat, and am good to go.

I've updated the prior posts to add temperature and wind. The coldest night so far was 24F.

Distance: 8.0 miles
High 70, Low 45
Wind 5-10

No comments:

Post a Comment