Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Let's talk about food...

I'm really liking the way the food planning and prep is turning out.  Rod really freed me when he said..."don't make up individual meals, just cook the way that you do at home.  Just use ingredients."

So I took the one pot meal methods of the backpacking cookbook to an extreme.  I packed up rice, quinoa, red lentils and whatever grains, pastas and quick cooking beans that I had in the cupboards. Then I packed the mountain of dried food that I'd prepared.  Spices are in individual snack bags and packed into one quart freezer bag.  I also have salt & pepper, butter buds and oil (though I do need to find a better leak-proof container for the oil).  

When it comes time to cook dinner, I pull out the pot and start inventing.  I put a grain (or main ingredient) into the pan then add dried food and flavorings.  One favorite is 1/2 red lentil and 1/2 rice or quinoa.  The lentils cook fast and make a nice thick rice dish.  I like this method because I can be creative and I don't have to spend any time planning.

Its not a three course meal, but it fills the belly.  It's tasty and nutritious.

I have two food bags ...one for breakfast/lunch and one for dinner.  What's really sweet is that I can easily carry two weeks of food so that I don't have to stop for resupply so often.

Weight? Yes it's heavy, but I don't find that it makes much difference in maneuvering.  The boats are too heavy to carry when loaded, but that would still be true if you carried half of the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment