Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Running out of miles: Molasses Key

We are meeting our ride on March 5, two weeks away. But we have only a few full days of paddling left. Rather than keep paddling to Havana we will reach Key West Feb 26 and then go explore the remote lower Keys on the Gulf side.

My mind is starting to think about the upcoming hiking segment. Our daily paddling mileage is short now. Part of me enjoys the chance to go slow, but part of me is seeing all of the hiking miles ahead and wants to get moving. The paddle is just the first 700 of 4,000 miles.

We have not had warm clear water for swimming and snorkeling - maybe I'd be less restless if I could be playing in the water all day.

Months ago I accepted the choice to paddle slowly and leave a gap in the hike, starting on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia rather than hike from St Marks. I am now second guessing that. Is it too late? Can I somehow still hike from St Marks and make up about a month of time?

And what about those 38 miles in Sarasota that we skipped when I was ill? Can I paddle those and fill in the gap?

Why does that seem important? I made up this Keys to Halifax route, so I can change it and do whatever I want. But the desire to connect all of the footsteps is strong. I left no gaps on my other long distance hikes. Can I leave gaps this time?

2 comments:

  1. May you arrive in Key West on 26th and have some calm, warm days to explore....an interesting place and beautiful reefs for diving.

    Keep us posted about your hike segment, and thanks to Fran for being ground support...who knows we might drive from Suwannee and meet you along the way.
    Be sure to visit Hot Springs (Western NC)
    and soak in the French Broad River springs there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking up your email address to send you a message! Thanks for the well wishes and the reminder about Hot Springs.

    I've told Pat and Roger, our paddling partners, to look you up when they pass through town. They fell in love with your town when they read the blog entry.

    I read that you finallly met Daniel this month. Do you know when he will finish and if there will be a big celebration for him at Key West? You can answer via email if you prefer.

    ReplyDelete