Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Conditioning on the connector

It's more challenging getting the body ready this time. There are more aches that matter. The sore muscles and tender foot soles are not a problem; but ankles, shins and knees; tendons and ligaments? I rotate the two elastic bandages where most needed, usually the right ankle and either the left knee or shin. In the evening comes the ice, compression and elevation.

I am not sure what that means, but I am nine years older than when I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail at age 50.

Even then I noticed that hikers aged 60 and up faced more physical challenges and quite low completion rates. Long distance hiking drops off rapidly with age - according to the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conference) 13,000 people have completed the Appalachian Trail, but only 11 were 70 or older. 

I've often said that completing a hike requires some good luck. You can't control snows, fires or other external forces and you can only do your best to minimize injuries and illness. You work hard and must be tenacious to put yourself in a position to hike the whole thing, but then you also need some good luck. Ultimately if you have done everything humanely possible, then you declare success wherever you stop. 

That was easier to say when I was pretty confident I could finish. I'm less philosophical now. I want to complete all 4,000 miles.

The 350 mile connector from the Gulf to the Appalachian Trail should be a great conditioning hike. But the roads are killing me. The biggest issue is that they are crowned for rain, so only the center is flat. The shoulders slope away from the road, and my body just cannot take mile after mile of a constant sideways slope.

I'm halfway through the connector. I am not sure if it is helping my body get ready, or creating long-term issues.


2 comments:

  1. Did I see you on SR 155 in Griffin/McDonough, Georgia with an orange Key West to Halifax flag in your back today? If so, way to go!! I was so curious I had to check it out on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that was me! Welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete