Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Listening

I tell myself I'll start slow and let the body condition itself, strengthening muscles, stretching ligaments, and building callouses. Maybe a couple of days with 5-8 miles, then some tens, then fifteens, on the way to twenties. After all, the legs have been locked in a box for a couple of months, and constant wetness leaves my feet with as much callous as a baby's behind. 

But I don't listen very well.

Fortunately the first hiking day is limited by a slow start for chores, and an early stop to buy Captain Mike a beer as a thank you for storing our car.

Day one is 12 miles, day two is 16 miles, day three is 17. I already feel sore soles, sore muscles, sore hips from the belt, sore shins, and sore arches. The first three are a necessary part of conditioning. But the later two can develop into shin splints or plantar fasciitis. I know because I didn't listen very well on my other hikes, and I did more conditioning for each of those, especially the Continental Divide Trail.

I'll listen tomorrow. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment