Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

So what is Phase two?

The adventure has always been about getting from Key West to Halifax. The initial kayaking phase is now done, so it is time to figure out the hiking phase.

While planning the kayaking portion, we decided to go slowly and start the hike at the beginning of the Appalachian Trail, leaving a gap from St Marks to Springer Mountain. I agreed to forego having an unbroken path from Key West to Halifax in order for us to go slower and enjoy the kayaking more.

But now I want to connect all of the footsteps anyway, even though I am short about a month.

Maybe instead of basing the route on the Florida Trail and Pinhoti Trail, I can make up a shorter route, and then make up time on the Appalachian Trail. Wishful thinking?

Planning the hike really is just about determining the route and getting in shape.  I have the skills and will reuse the same gear and food plan as on previous long hikes. The prep for the Appalachian Trail segment is much simpler than for the Continental Divide Trail, and yes I do have my raingear.

I started walking today, with a brisk 7.5 mile flat stroll with no pack. My legs are protesting that it is unfair to be locked up in a boat for ten weeks and then have to hike. Too bad legs. We're doing this. At least as soon as I figure out the route.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about: I felt exactly the same starting my hike this winter after sitting in a kayak on the Mississippi for 2,5 months...
    I wonder whether you two suffer from the "middle finger" problem as well. Both Brian and have had problems bending our middle fingers on both hands when the hands were cold. The problem has only subsided now several months after the end of the paddling trip.
    What Feathercraft kayak were you using? I have a FC K1 and plan on using it for sea kayaking now.
    All the best for your hike. Let me know if you need any info on the Pinhoti as I have just hiked it.
    GT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GT - great to hear from you. No problems with stiff fingers. Various foot, ankle and shoulder pains went away as we improved our stroke.
      My Feathercraft is an older K1. Pros: lightweight and portable. Cons: about 0.5 mph hour slower than my fiberglass boat, no sealed compartments for safety or gear, no skeg and less comfortable seat so my butt hurts more after a day of edging.

      Delete
  2. I have seen on your photos that you have used two types of paddles: A Werner paddle (if I have recognised it correctly) and an "Eskimo" type paddle. When did you use what paddle? Can you recommend the "Eskimo" paddle (I don't remember the specific name for them)? To me they seem to have too small of a blade..
    I am curious because I left my spare paddle in the US (returned it to REI because it was defective) and try to figure out what paddle to buy as a spare. My default paddle is a Lendal crank shaft.

    Please post more on your hiking plans: Are you planning on a flipflop because of the seasons or a straight thruhike? The Pinhoti and the Southern AT are hikeable even in winter (as I have just found out myself), but Canada will be a problem if you arrive too late.

    ReplyDelete