Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lying alongside the road

I'm horizontal. The left foot has been screaming "no mas" for an hour and then finally toppled me.

For two days, I have been on and off roads with no shoulders. Traffic dictates that I hike in the weeds on the left side, which slopes sideways. Knees, ankles and feet aren't made for constant walking on a side slope.

I walk with one elastic bandage on the left knee and another on the right ankle. The left foot has no bandage and hurts across the top of the forefoot.

I'm lying alongside the road. 

Sometimes a goal is so overwhelming that you have to just focus on one day at a time. This is the opposite. The big vision of getting from Key West to Halifax pulls me through tough days like today. 

I rest and then log a few more miles. The past couple of nights I iced the knee and ankle. Tonight I add the foot.

I crossed the 100 mile hiking mark today. That sounds odd. I am still just seven days into conditioning, barely started. I hope to be in good condition in another 250 miles when I'll be on the Appalachian Trail. But I am a hundred miles closer to the next beginning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment