Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dobson Trail and Fundy Park - Sep 15

Ah, easy trail miles. The Dobson Trail is a good trail. Sure there were a few wet spots, but I was able to average 2.5 mph for the day, a rarity for me on the Appalachian Trail. Viewless and in rain, the hiking was mostly just banging out miles, so I was glad they were relatively easy. I'm thankful to all of the trail volunteers. 

Once inside Fundy National Park I encountered a sign that my preferred route was closed. Alonzo had warned me about this. Unfortunately, a nice long stretch down the Upper Salmon River became a road-walk along Hwy 114. Only after I completed the road-walk and reached the Visitor Center did I learn that the trail work was completed a couple of weeks ago and they failed to remove the one sign I encountered.

Some long distance hikers would have hiked past the closed sign and in this instance would have had a great hike, but to me that smacks of exceptionalism. I obey trail closed signs. It's just too bad that after two days of viewless Dobson Trail I needlessly walked around the pretty river gorge section. 

The remaining half of the walk in the Park was on the bluff above the Bay of Fundy, with several great viewpoints.  The sun shown brightly for the first time in quite a while, appearing in time to show off the splendor of the coastline. 

Next up is the rugged Fundy Footpath, the trail I flip-flopped around due to the storm. I'll get a little mist tomorrow but overall the weather for the next three days looks great. The flip-flop worked. 

Sep 13 - 20.2 miles on Dobson Trail (57.4km to Shepody Rd, 13.9km to Hastings Rd =71.3km, 44.3m)
Sep 14 - 24.1 miles to Hastings Rd in Fundy National Park
Sep 15 - 10.8 miles to Point Wolfe in Fundy National Park (5.3km to HQ campground + 22.7-2.1-8.5 to Point Wolfe = 17.4km)


No comments:

Post a Comment