Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Derecho

I learned a new word today: derecho. It refers to a long narrow weather front with lots of rain and wind. On the radar, it showed up as a narrow red line running several hundred miles north-south and moving east. At 7:30am the weather was fine.  By 8:00am it was stormy, and by 9:00 am it was clear again. 

A second derecho was about six hours west, threatening a repeat from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Between derechoes, many hikers hurried to the first shelter, just six miles out of town, and waited for the second storm. 

After a pause at the shelter, I headed out anyway, figuring I could do okay in my rain gear, or worst case I could pitch the tent and hang out until the storm passed. The clouds darkened and the wind picked up, but the cicadas were still raising a ruckus. I figured they might be like many birds, and fall silent just before the storm, so I kept going. 

And derechos apparently can be unpredictable. This one curved southeast and drenched Maryland and Virginia instead.

Still, with the slow start and waiting for storms, I hike just 14.3 miles to a campsite before PA 325. Yep, a campsite, not the RV. And rain starts as the daylight fades. 


No comments:

Post a Comment