Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Snorting Gnats: Duncannon PA

I have fallen into a pattern. I pack up with three days of food, and then end up at the RV that first night out. Typically it just turned out that the day ended at a State Park or town, so we might as well get together. I have some dinners I've carried a hundred miles now!

Wednesday day is no exception as I make better time that expected (27.6 miles) and meet Spirit north of Duncannon PA.

Along the way I discover a new challenge. The gnats are getting thick enough that I breath through my nose instead of mouth whenever possible. But three times today a gnat got sucked in. I could feel it trying to get out but invariably it crawled upward. I tried to blow my nose but it was too dry to free the critter. I'd have to wait until the bug triggered a release of moisture from the sinuses to blow it out. Judging from all the squirming, the gnat didn't like it any more than I did. After three gnats, I put on my headnet, even though it was too hot.

3 comments:

  1. Could the gnats be worse than during the Florida paddle, particularly at the Northwest Cape near Cape Sable? Roger Steeb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were far more in Cape Sable, but they didn't fly up my nose, in my ears, and in my mouth. Those just hung around on the ground, or flew onto the tent wall, dried out and died, falling into a pile. Both are a bit disturbing.

      Delete
  2. Keep it up! Can't believe your in PA already (Boyds/Key west bicycler!)

    ReplyDelete