Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Thunderstorms and Songs

National Hiking Day (June 1) falls on a Saturday this year.  I see lots of day hikers all weekend. In the final stretch of Virginia, there's a13.5 mile segment called the Rollercoaster, named for the closely packed descents and accents. This appears to be a favorite section for many local trail runners and day hikers. 

Whenever I hike there is a song blaring away in my brain. I guess it is triggered by the pounding rhythm of the feet. Some folks hike or exercise with music ear buds and that apparently helps maintain a tempo. For me the tempo picks the song. "Sheela Sheela That's my little Sheela..."

I have a bunch of minor cuts and welts on my legs from the grass yesterday. Skin is amazing; it will patch itself up just fine. I wish my gear could repair itself. I'm glad the weather allows me to just wear shorts and a t-shirt so that most often the scrapes are on my arms and legs so do not require repairs. "Gloria G L O R I A Gloria..." 

Today is hot and muggy so I'm looking forward to the forecasted thunderstorm.
But predicted storms on Thursday produced only distant thunder, and on Saturday just a few clouds. A brief, light shower would be welcome. 

The clouds darken a bit but are not well formed thunderheads. Gear up or not? Mild sprinkles start and thunder rolls in from the west. I'm too hot for rain gear (and it leaks anyway), so  I put on the pack cover and get out the poncho.  

I turn on my cell phone to text Spirit to let her know to expect me mid-day tomorrow. An alert on the phone from the National Weather Service pops up, a Severe Thunderstorm alert posted just moments ago, warning of potential 60 mph wind and hail the size of quarters. 

Sure enough a few minutes later the temperature drops, the wind starts ripping and the rain begins. I'm up on a ridge and getting pummeled, so I carefully edge down the leeward side and to find refuge behind a boulder. The branches sway vigorously but the rain is so heavy it comes down straight anyway. The trees offer no protection as the rain just pours right through the canopy in buckets. 

My arms and legs are cold and wet, but my core is fine. My new $1 emergency poncho keeps me drier than any rain jacket has. It flaps in the wind but less than it did on the ridge. I stay away from any brush it might snag on. It is flimsy and I again think how great skin is. 

The lightning gets closer until the time from flash to bang is just 1.5 seconds, directly overhead. And at that moment, the wind passes and rain lets up just a bit so I resume hiking and quickly warm the extremities. "If you're happy and you know it. ..". Kind of a funny tune to show up now. 

The trail is a creek so I slosh on through, and pull up to the Blackburn shelter for a dry night. "Amazing Grace..."

23 miles to Rod Hollow Shelter on June 1, 17.8 miles to Blackburn Shelter on June 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment