Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Flagstaff Lake - Aug 13

I'm out early to beat the forecasted rain, which starts around noon and is light to moderate all day. 

I read about beach campsites on Flagstaff Lake. At the lake, the rain lets up and a calm reflection of the clouds and sun sets across the water.

I'm not sure where campsite is.  The trail seems to peel away from the lake before the campsite is due by mileage and time. I select a nice little beach anyway, just big enough for the tent.

The calling of Loons sings to me as I cook dinner and head to bed. It reminds me why I love the outdoors. 

I'm finding the AT can be an outdoor experience without experiencing the outdoors. While the other trails also involve more hiking than camping, most of those nights are tenting in the woods. The AT is about shelters and hostels. At the shelters (even if pitching a tent) the evening is conversation with other hikers, not silence to hear the forest. 

The big three trails are all different, meeting different needs. The AT is more social, but comes at the cost of less connection to the outdoors we are passing through. 

Another hiker asked me when the PCT will be like AT, with shelters, developed trail towns, hostels and shuttles.  I hope never. 

17.0 miles to Flagstaff Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment