Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Perfect Day - Aug 6

What a wonderful day! 

The weather was picture perfect with patches of sun, and the views were amazing as I popped above and below the tree line. Both moraine lakes and beaver ponds dot the highlands. 

I'm increasingly enjoying the rock climbing. I wish I had more experience, but I am getting by. It's fun to climb, though still a bit dodgy descending. 

The Mahoosuc Notch is a famous boulder field described as either the most hard or most fun mile of the entire AT.  I vote for fun.
It was a hoot scrambling over, under and in between the giant boulders. In some places you have to slip through such narrow passages that you shove your pack through the hole first and then climb in. Great fun. 

I also got a rare chance to hike with some other hikers, Fatty in the mid-day and through the Notch and then Road Runner at the end of day. It's nice to have another hiker to chat with while walking.

Usually my pace is too slow to hike with others. In one place with good trail I was remarking to Fatty that I could actually keep up because that place in the trail had great footing. Ironically just before the saying the words "great footing" I slipped, and uttered them seated on the trail. Pretty funny.

I finish the day meeting Spirit at the RV for a good meal and shower. 

A great day. 

14.1 miles to Grafton Notch

No comments:

Post a Comment