Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, May 10, 2013

A Break in the Weather

The weather is improving! Well, we have a forecast of one good day before it rains again. That's something!

Easy trail, good tread, nice weather. 

The trail has now dropped from the high elevations in the south and bounces around 3000 and 4000 feet so we are fully in Spring. The forest is largely maple and the hills are that fresh bright green of new leaves.

Despite easy conditions the miles are slow. I don't have much energy. I averaged 2.5 to 3.0 mph on the connector hike from Florida to the AT, and 2.5 mph on the other long hikes, but seem stuck at 2 mph now, even in good conditions. Is it mental or physical? I don't know. 

On Thursday I hike 23.0 miles to Chestnut Knob Shelter, and 22 miles on Friday to reach I-77 near Bland VA.

Despite the slow pace on Thursday I enjoy hiking for the first time in quite a while. The bright green lifts my spirits. I tent near Chestnut Knob Shelter, and am treated to both a wonderful sunset and sunrise. 

Friday's rain starts late. I almost make it to meet Spirit, but get drenched the last half hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment