Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Balance: Trout Creek

I've been reworking my projected finish dates and it looks like I'm doing well to get to Halifax in mid-late October.

My current miles per hiking day is 19.3. Including zero days it is 17.4. Just extrapolating this pace I'd reach Halifax on Sep 21, about a month early. 

But I won't sustain that pace.
Miles in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Maine are harder and then the daylength shrinks in September and October. Plus I haven't actually figured out the route in Canada so don't really know how many miles to assume. 

From here on a pace of 17 miles per day (14.7 including zeros) is sufficient for an October 18 finish. Since the later stages will be slower, if I keep in the 18-20 mile range through Virginia then I should be in good shape. I don't need to be forcing twenties. 

The weather changed abruptly. Two days ago my feet had been wet and cold for the past month. Two nights ago there was frost. Today it's hot.

Early on this trail I swapped out my two one-liter water bottles for smaller bottles since water sources are so frequent plentiful. But the hot weather coincides with longer stretches between sources. Today I got caught with just one half liter on a nine mile stretch that included some hot rocky southern exposure. I was pretty dry by the time I reached water, and faced a hot afternoon southern climb, so I took a 90 minute break and drank four liters. I even splashed water on me and soaked my hair before the climb. Turns out I then carried my two bottles up and over the hill so I over did it. Some balance would be good!

18.8 miles from Sinking Creek to Trout Creek. 

1 comment:

  1. Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 14, but we can certainly celebrate it again when you arrive!

    ReplyDelete