Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Enjoying the hike: John's Spring Shelter

What a glorious day!

First, I've relaxed the pressure for more miles. I stopped longer at viewpoints, or to chat with other hikers. I enjoyed the day and ignored the miles, hiking it like I'm just doing the AT and in no hurry. 

I also started taking breaks. On the other long walks my style has been to just keep a slow pace going all day without much stopping. Since the AT is more physically demanding I'm going to experiment with breaks and see if the body likes that better. 

But the real reason today was glorious was about the trail not me.
Walking on the sawtooth ridge is just incredible! The maple leaves are so fresh and green, as are the wildflowers and grass. The distant views are to die for as the pastoral settings invoke images and songs from "The Sound of Music". When walking, the nearby trees blur to transparent and the glimpses of distant ridge integrate together. Rocky outcroppings such as the Dragon's Tooth (and power lines) provide occasional full territorial views. 

And the trail close up is magical too.  Yesterday a sudden floral scent hit me, like passing a woman with lots of perfume. I couldn't find any flowers so was bewildered. A mile later it hit me again, but again was a mystery. The third encounter revealed the secret, as a cherry tree stood by the trail and enveloped me in fragrance. 

I especially enjoy fragrances because they are a recent gift to me.  I have always had little or no sense of smell, as allergies swelled the sinuses and blocked the olfactory receptors. I vividly remember the first time I smelled a rose in my early twenties. Last year I had nose surgery to improve air flow when sleeping and an unexpected bonus was to allow airflow higher in the sinuses, reaching the olfactory receptors. After 58 years, I can smell! 

I've been walking through Rhododendrons since the start of the AT, and wondering when they will bud and bloom. Today I saw the first one, with just a few red blossoms starting to open. Spring is steadily progressing. Much of the AT is a green tunnel through Rhododendrons so this should be a real treat in a couple of more weeks. 

Another surprise was encountering what I believed to be a carnivorous Pitcher Plant nestled in dry pine needles between rocks, and then finding a half dozen more. With the increasing flies and mosquitoes I cheer for the Pitcher Plant. But alas another hiker corrects me; it is a Lady's Slipper.

I swapped out some gear, getting bigger water bottles, new shoes and a lighter sleeping bag. Operation Fatten The Turkey is working. I think I put a few pounds back on. 

14.9 miles to Johns Spring Shelter

I enjoyed today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment