Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Shrinking: Saunders Shelter

I weigh only 145 pounds. Yikes, I'm eating like a horse and still losing weight. At this rate I'll be 105 in Maine and 85 in Halifax.

EAT MORE! 

On the way back to the trail we stop at the grocery store for Ben & Jerry's and Sun Chips. I wolf down 1500 extra calories between breakfast and lunch. 

I'm beginning to recognize the physical challenge of this trail.
I didn't fully appreciate how much harder this trail is and kept wondering why I feel like I'm having to work so hard. I still haven't reached that nice flow where 20 miles just happens like on the PCT and CDT. 

Rest Step explained that a 2004 National Geographic article showed that compared to the PCT or CDT, the AT has twice as many feet per mile of ascents and descents, and climbs 377 mountains (more than two per day average). That burns up energy at a much faster daily rate even for the typically lower daily miles, and then since I'm trying to push higher daily miles my total work is very high.

That matches how it feels (hard work) and my diminishing weight.  I'm already eating about 25% more than on the other hikes and the pack weight is an issue. This last stretch was 125 Miles between resupply.  I need to resupply more frequently so I can travel lighter (and carry more per day), and then I can also suck down calories by the thousands in towns. 

I keep eating in town, taking a late start to reach just the first shelter 9.7 miles up the trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment