Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Retirement? Pearisburg VA

We're not in the bigger mountains anymore. Now the mountains run in long ridges for many miles, and the trail follows along the crest, coming down for water or to cross over to a different ridge. The trail is much faster - one hiker covered 16 miles in just four hours and another pair made 33 miles yesterday. 

This section is timed perfectly. The spring green leaves and grass couldn't be brighter. Fran and I both talk about what a wonderful place this would be to retire to. Wildcat and Rest Step may have it right, living near these beautiful mountains. I wonder if this is like Oregon - many visitors in July through September think they have found the promised land until they move to Oregon and endure the nine months of gray. But we fantasize anyway about living in these hills. 

Yesterday I walked rather deliberately, paying attention to my form to see if I could hike faster and with less effort.
I found that I have slipped into bad style, slouching down on my hip bones instead of staying high, and positioning my poles too far forward as if for support instead of propulsion. I concentrated on form and was able to maintain 2.9 mph for 18 miles yesterday. Today I hoped that form would be more automatic but found if I didn't concentrate on it I lapsed back, and finished with 25 miles at 2.4 mph. I think my form deteriorated on the steeper slopes weeks ago, the slouching started with the heavy pack while Fran was away, and the incorrect pole position is due to unstable footing on rocks and mud.  It may take a while to correct, but it appears that the trail in Virginia is easier and in better condition than farther south so now is the time to work on it. 

Fran will be going off on her own again for a few days tracing my ancestry in Tazewell County VA dating back to colonial times. She digging through marriage certificates, wills and land records. She found one will that lists two slaves along with the livestock. That doesn't set well, even discounting that those were different times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment