Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

1000 miles

I am crossing 1000 miles right now. That should be pretty exciting. I've been counting down the miles for a few days. 

But I'm not feeling much. It's just an arbitrary number as I walk past country clubs on a busy four lane boulevard. Connecting the footsteps between kayaking and the Appalachian Trail is important to me, but I never expected much of it. It connects, and got me into hiking condition, which is all I asked. I am in shape and just 50 miles from the AT.

The memorable moments were the stops along the way.
  • Seeing an oldtimer's eyes light up as he talked about growing up with Jackie Robinson.
  • Hearing stories at small town shops, cafes, and city halls.
  • Feeling images at the Civil Rights museum in Albany GA pierce my heart while also inspiring me. H
  • earing the origin story of Habitat for Humanity and recognizing the different building styles that they have adapted to around the world.  
  • Listening to Jimmy Carter teach Sunday school in Plains GA on Palm Sunday, a humble man guided by his faith giving some of clearest interpretations I have heard of familiar scriptures. 
  • Devouring a sumptuous sweet potato pie.
  • Seeing the laser light show at Stone Mountain, and getting a glimpse of a proud Southern heritage.
  • Exploring the Carter Center and marvelling that a couple can do so much to benefit so many people, including the likely eradication of the wretched guinea worm disease.
  • Experiencing the Martin Luther King center, reading every word, watching every video, studying every photo.
  • Sitting in MLK's Ebenezer Baptist Church on Easter Sunday.
Absorbing. Learning.

That's what the connector hike has been about. And the number 1000 doesn't mean much in comparison.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed some Southern hospitality. And the food! I have eaten the best American food in the South. Southern barbecue, sweet potatoes - ahhh!!!
    Enjoy the AT!

    ReplyDelete