Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Moving: Long Branch

There are some inspiring people out here. Two older guys hiking with titanium rods in their backs. Tinman with a reconstructed leg. Cat Lady traveling and hiking after graduation. A very overweight guy 15 pounds lighter on day ten. Several Eagle Scouts. I am always impressed by the people on the long trails.

The trail route is easy to predict.  Look for the tallest close peak in ay direction except south. East or West are fine. That's where the trail is going. Climbing every bump and walking the ridges down through the gaps, the views across the rolling mountains remain spectacular.  Increasingly rhododendron patches form green tunnels.  Some are huge, 18 to 20 feet tall. The flower buds are sparse and small, but leaf buds are starting to open as Spring arrives for them and the wildflowers. But the stately Oaks remain asleep.

I'm working pretty hard, pushing up the hills, logging about eleven hours of actual hiking. On the PCT, that would yield 28 miles. Here, working harder, yesterday was 22.5 and today was 25.7. I'm eating like I never have before, even more than as a teenager on sports teams. This morning I ate three breakfasts and yesterday I had two lunches. Whenever the grade levels out I gorge on nuts and raisons. I met Spirit mid-day and had a snack of five eggs, toast and sweet potato tots. I'm carrying lots of extra food to keep shoving in!

My jumpy legs are acting up at night. I take magnesium, but the bouncing keeps me awake a couple of hours, robbing the sleep I really need pushing this hard.

















No comments:

Post a Comment