Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Big miles? Laurel Fork River

I'm ready for a strong hiking day. I wrapped a sore ankle and got an early start. The trail footing is good. By 11am ten miles are gone!
I stopped at a nice rocky viewpoint for lunch, drained the blood blister under the toenail, and posted blog entries from the last three days (I could see the cell tower in the valley below!).

It's a good hiking day. The weather is dry and calm, not cold and not hot. The pack weight is getting manageable as the days pass and the food bags shrink. With water sources every few miles at most, there is little need to carry much. It feels good to see a big mile day coming since miles have been tough lately. The ankle pain is increasing and the legs are tired, but we're on a roll. 

The trail parallels Laurel Fork river, a noisy, frothy series of cascades and whitewater. Everywhere is green from the spray. We drop down into a canyon with rock walls crumbling into massive blocks. Some large blocks have tumbled onto the trail. I'm glad I wasn't hiking past then! 

The full river drops over turbulent Laurel Falls, splashing over five giant rock stair steps. It is like a little Eagle Creek (for those from Portland or who are familiar with the Pacific Crest Trail). The trail follows downstream, hugging the canyon wall. 

I considered taking a swim but didn't. Too late in day? Too cold to warm back up? Mostly it just feels good to have a big miles day. 

All of the hiking for the past three days has been alone. I know several faster hikers who are now ahead, but this stretch is empty. Where did everyone go? 

The pain in my right ankle increased sharply coming down into the canyon and is now getting strong. This is a long term game so I decide to ice the ankle in the river and call it a day at 4:30. It looked like a big mile day, maybe 22-24, but I settle for 17.7. Maybe tomorrow. 

The campsite is a beautiful spot next to the river, but not my usual choice. It will be cold at the bottom of the canyon and near the river, and likely moist. But the cold water feels good on the ankle, and I rinse some of trail grim off of the rest of me too.

I get a message from Spirit. She needs to extend her stay with her Pa. Her Pa is the top priority right now. He took a nasty fall to the head while we were in Hot Springs, so she flew out to be with him. 

In Hot Springs we had loaded me up for 75 miles and sent a package Erwin for the remaining 125 miles to Damascus, hoping she'd be back by then. Hope things improve for her Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment