Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Entering the Smokies:  Mollies Ridge Shelter

Welcome back to the trail. Not feeling any hurry, I take my time looking around Fontana Dam and chatting with people and finally enter Great Smokey Mountain National Park around 2:30 pm. The climb upwards is slow but I get treated to areas of amazing floral carpet. Just inches high, scads of tiny white flowers with pink veins cover the ground under the oak trees. 

In the park hikers must stay in or next to a shelter, so I pull into Mollies Ridge Shelter and pitch my tent. This is the first time I have camped at a shelter, but I arrive late and the ongoing conversations are within well-formed groups so I head to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment