Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Smokies: Pecks Corner Shelter

The trail entered fir and spruce this morning as we got higher and the mountain is more moist.  The forest floor changes from soft leaves and rich brown soil to acid needles. Much darker than the bare trees below, moss grows on rocks and fallen trees. 

Very recent trail maintenance cleared the winter branches and fallen trees off of the trail.  I think to myself that the crew couldn't be more than a week ahead so earlier hikers had to crawl over and under the deadfall.  Sure enough, it is not yet cut past Newfound Gap and I am soon scampering through myself. 

A heavy misty fog clouds the views all morning including Clingmans Dome, the fabled highest point in the Appalachian Trail. Regardless everyone is upbeat. They now have their trail legs.  I am no longer the first on trail in the morning, nor the fastest, nor the last off, but I get 21.2 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment