Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

I Feel Good: Horse Gap

The cold wet weather passed and today was excellent for hiking.

In areas of complete silence, with views out to unbroken hills, I hike alone and remember what it is to feel alive. I skip past hikers and families, preferring the solitude even on this busy trail. Some ask how far I plan to hike and I tell them, but I don't engage in conversation. Many are taking breaks but I choose not to join.  For now at least I am glad to be back on the trail. More social time may come later. 

I am unsure how many daily miles to plan for.  Most veteran hikers caution that miles are harder on the AT than on the other trails. The Amicalola approach trail begins with 604 stairs and just keeps climbing.  Most hikers just make 6-8 miles the first few days; the longest I heard of was 12. Most looked well prepared, though sadly a few packs were enormous. 

I am very fortunate to have had the conditioning hike. Day one is 19.3 miles; I'm sore and tired but that is a very good start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment