Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Mostly Sunny: Mountaineer Shelter

The weather report forecast more rain today so I spent much of the night chilled trying to get my gear dry, using the only source of heat I have: me. In the morning, I needed to stay in the sleeping bag a little later than normal to get the moisture out of it. 

It turns out that the sun broke through off and on all day and there was no rain. 

I am a bit behind the next planned meetup with Spirit and the late start didn't help.
But I am tired and lacking motivation, so pulled up at Mountaineer Shelter after 18.0 miles and have daylight to cook, eat and tend to the feet. I've been carrying a heavy pack, with food for 126 miles since Spirit is off trail from Hot Springs until Damascus. Maybe as it gets lighter and as the weather improves I'll perk up. 

I can look back at Roan Mountain towering behind me. The views today would be amazing. In fact the trail took a long detour to the southeast to go over Roan Mountain. Such is the luck of through hiking. Sometimes you get the view sometimes you don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment