Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Falling: Green Corner Road

I took a late start, letting the body rest from yesterday. The rain didn't encourage me to get out either.

Eventually I set off.  Only 1.0 mile up the trail I slipped on a wet rock while crossing a creek and crashed on my shin. Ouch. I got the poles anchored and stood back up. The right shin hurt like heck but didn't change when I put weight on it so nothing seemed broken or chipped, and I hobbled across the creek. There was already a set of knots raised a half inch along four inches of shin. Oops. As I debated whether my day was over a few other hikers reached the stream and just gazelled the 4.5 feet from bank to bank without even touching the wet rocks. A much better idea!

Since I had just left Spirit and the stream was next to Green Corner Road, I decided to bail. Within minutes I had my leg elevated with a compression ice wrap. By evening the swelling was already coming down.

Rack up one mile for today. For the first time my daily average miles is now under 20 miles, at 249.6 miles in 13 hiking days.

No comments:

Post a Comment