Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Croquet - July 25

A funny thing happened on the way to Smarts Mountain. A little sign along the trail said "Free Ice Cream and Croquet". I couldn't partake of the ice cream (conflict with doxycycline) but figured I'd check the place out.

Bill Ackerly's house is just a hundred feet off of the trail. He's an older guy full of positive energy that loves to chat with hikers, and play croquet.
There were about seven hikers already there when I arrived in the afternoon. Some had been there all day. 

Croquet was a new sport to several of the hikers so it made for great fun.  As the afternoon turned to evening, everyone stayed, pitching tents and hammocks in his yard.

One reason I had stopped in was to look for a hiker log to see how far other hikers were ahead, after my time off. I'd like to hike with others now that my pace is coming back. Finder went through that morning, and seven others went through last night.  

I lost two to three weeks due to Lyme Disease, some as zero days and some due to low miles. I won't be able to make that back. My original thinking was to cross Katahdin during the third week of August and reach Halifax the third week of October. I was a couple of weeks ahead of that schedule, providing some insurance if needed or an earlier finish before the rains turn to snow. Now I am back on the prior plan. Should be okay. 

16.8 miles to Dorchester Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment