Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Swimming hole - July 16

Another hiker mentioned a fabulous swimming hole coming up near the end of the day, the Clarendon Gorge. With the heat draining my energy that is just too good to pass up!

I'm not sure how to work the logistics. I made shorter miles than planned yesterday and if I am short again today then I have too far to go tomorrow to meet Spirit at the next rendezvous. But she must be roasting in a town somewhere and there is a road close to the swimming hole. After checking on several ridges, I finally get a cell signal and call her and we change plans. We'll meet at the swimming hole for a couple of hours!

The gorge is beautiful with rock walls, a suspension bridge, cascades, deep pools and a sunny beach. The water is not shocking cold, surprisingly for a mountain river. I can just sit and soak. The cooling water and weightlessness is just the ticket. I had no energy on the final descent of the day, picking my way down at just one mph. The water refreshes and relaxes. I even get my clothes and shoes rinsed out. We spend the night in the RV just up from the gorge.

The RV is a huge support benefit but I do end up with reduced flexibility since we have prearranged meeting points. Sometimes I've passed up great opportunities like this.  I'm glad this time the change worked out perfectly for both of us. 

15.9 miles to Clarendon Gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment