Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Doctor Visit - July 17

It's approaching two months since I started losing energy. Spirit has tried to get me to go see a doctor but it seems each time she convinces me the heat breaks and I feel better.  "It must be just the heat and humidity."

But this time she convinces me during a multi-day heat wave. Plus I had a burning fever with chills and aches last night. 

We find a walk-in clinic and head into town. The conclusion is quick: probably Lyme Disease.
Despite my efforts to inspect and remove them, I did get some tick bites (and probably more than I noticed). 

Rather than mess with the confirming tests the doctor advises we skip that cost and delay and just start treatment. I pop my first doxycycline before lunch.

When we go to pay the $90 fee for the office visit, it has been changed by the doctor to "no charge". He says he just wants to see me complete the trail. The Magic of the trail bringing out generosity in others is truly amazing. 

It's good to have Spirit telling me what I already know but don't listen to. I should have seen a doctor long ago. Stubbornness is great when it means the tenacious fortitude to reach a goal, but foolhardy when it becomes blinding. It's a fine line. Actually Spirit thinks it was an obvious bold line. 

Yes, I'll repeat it three times:
"The woman is always right." 
"The woman is always right." 
"The woman is always right." 

I'm cautiously optimistic. Lyme Disease may or may not be the issue. There are other tick diseases, mosquito diseases and water borne diseases. It could just be the heat and humidity. 

But I really hope this works. Really, really. It has been a tough slog, much harder than my previous hiking. It would be wonderful to get my energy back. 

Go Doxycycline!  
Die Lyme Disease bacteria!

Zero miles.

2 comments:

  1. Steady, I had to take antibiotics twice because of suspected Lyme Disease. I reacted very badly to Doxycycline with the worst diarrea and vomiting. If the same thing happens to you, don't despair: there is alternative antibiotics for treatment, in Europe called Azythromicin which is not so hard on the body. Good luck from GT who is also struggling with ticks in Scandinavia

    ReplyDelete