Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, July 26, 2013

The Whites are Coming - July 26

The hills keep getting bigger, with about 4,000 feet of climbing today. That's a prelude to the White Mountains - tomorrow I face that much gain just climbing Mt Mossilauke in the morning.

A mile or two into the day, Uta and Stjohn, two Germans from Hamburg, flew past me. I picked up my pace and drafted behind them for the next five miles to the summit of Smarts Mountain, then fell back to my slower pace. The final miles of the day are in mud.
 
Hiking consists of hoping from one rock or root to another. They are spaced far enough apart that you need to keep in motion, trusting that you will spot a safe landing for the foot before it goes splat. After a couple of hours the pounding takes a toll on the feet.
 
For several days I've been treated to raspberries and huckleberries. Today they are sparse and I get just a nibble. But such a treat!

21.3 miles to NH 25C

No comments:

Post a Comment