Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Skunks and Skitters - July 6

Despite my sour postings, this area really is pretty. Everything is green and lush with moss covered rocks and ferns and recently there have been more territorial views.

First thing in the morning I get treated to a tortoise in the trail. About 8 inches long, he is in no hurry as he moves along the trail. He eventually decided to let me pass and pulls his head in. I excuse myself, step over and move on down the trail.

Next up is a skunk.
He's a good 15 yards away and has plenty of escape routes so I make a small noise to let him know I'm there. He turns to move away, then changes his mind, rears around and starts running towards me. I haven't rehearsed this scenario! 

I make much louder noise and wave my arms while he is still far enough away. Fortunately he turns away again and scampers down the trail and around the bend. I keep an eye out for him for a while since I didn't see where he went.

Locals are saying the mosquitoes are the thickest in thirty years. One hiker posits a theory as to why. Apparently the bats in the northeast started getting a white nose fungus five years ago and it has killed off 80% of the bats. Since bats are long lived and have just one pup a year, the fungus is devastating the population. Since bats devour mosquitoes in enormous quantities the theory from the hiker is that the lack of bats allowed the crazy numbers of mosquitoes. 

In mid-afternoon I need to reapply DEET and find the bottle is empty!  Yikes! I race ahead to Homes Road to get into direct sun and a break. I'm still flapping my arms when a driver pulls over and hands my some bug spray, "Here, I just finished my walk and it looks like you need this more than me! "

It is an organic bug spray with citronella and lemongrass. I decide to test it. I spray myself and stay in the sun on pavement for ten minutes.  It seems to work. I move to the shaded shoulder for a few more minutes and it still seems to work. Encouraged, I toss on my pack and walk into the woods.  In less than 50 yards I'm covered in mosquitoes. I run back to the road and flail the arms again. 

I call Spirit. It's after 4pm by the time she can get here and the planned end of day is still 5 miles of walking.  I bail out for a short day. 

There is no DEET in town. Not at pharmacies, grocers or outdoor stores. The buggy July 4 cleaned everyone out. We finally find some north of town at Price Chopper. 

At the north end we spot a brewery restaurant with good reviews and a shady parking spot. Inside we find a couple of other hikers, Bailer and Baker with some friends. Good food, good beer, good friends, good air conditioning and no mosquitoes. Perfect.

11.1 miles to Homes Rd in Great Barrington MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment