Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Entering Massachusetts - July 5

I shifted tactics today. I took a full shoes-off break every three hours, and drank tons of water. I poured water over my head and shoulders. I immersed my feet in a cold stream mid-afternoon.

I still don't know if my lack of energy was mental or physical, or a mild illness, or what. But this morning I am on my way back to my (slow) normal self.
 
By late afternoon I'm producing smelly burps and farts, and have a growling belly. It's all minor but I could be getting sick. I remember how foul the shelters down south became when sick hikers stayed in them. I have a better option, so I get a signal at the top of Mt Race and call Spirit for an unscheduled RV overnight.

Is it a bug that has been slowing me down?  Or just the heat and humidity?

This afternoon featured some fun rock scrambles up Lions Head and Mt Race. I'm facing an even steeper Mt Everett with most of the 650 foot climb in a couple of tenths of a mile of trail.

I'm likely not sick but if I get woozy and wobbly there are no options. The climb is hard enough on solid legs. I decide I better just get over while I can. 

During the night, snug in the RV, the minor symptoms go away. False alarm. 

I crossed into Massachusetts and logged 21.3 miles to Guilder Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment