Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is unknown. Make today meaningful, and life is worthwhile.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lake of the Clouds - July 31

Currently an AT thru hiker is missing a hundred miles north in Maine. An older woman, she has been missing since August 24. That situation is very troubling.

I took a late morning start into a stiff climb. It was not too bad, a bit strenuous but not hands-on-rocks climbing like Kinsman Mountain was.

What a glorious hiking day! Largely above treeline, there's great views all day. The sun often pokes through, and the clouds are constantly changing.

I wish I was less worried about the weather as I scan the clouds primarily to foretell the rain and wind, and miss some of their pure majesty.

This is the Southern Presidentials, the south half of a series of 4,000 foot mountains named for Presidents. I climb over or near Webster, Jackson, Pierce/Clinton, Eisenhower, Franklin, and Monroe.

The day gets late. I had originally hoped for a couple more miles today but am happy to reach the Lake of the Clouds Hut around 7:30 pm. I'm real lucky - they take me in as an extra work for stay so again I clean a kitchen to get a meal and sleep on the floor. 

This hut has to be one of the most amazing. Situated in a small col in alpine rock with tiny vegetation, many guests take a short stroll after dinner to watch a fabulous sunset from some quiet perch. It's great nourishment for the soul. 

The hut is full. Some guests are families hiking hut to hut, others are going big miles. Some just rode the cog railway up to Mt Washington and walked the two miles to the hut. It's great to see so many people loving the outdoors. 

11.2 miles to Lake of the Clouds Hut




No comments:

Post a Comment